I love eating smoked meat, but I don’t like the idea of laboring over a hot charcoal grill that much. Fortunately, electric smokers were invented to save busybodies like me a lot of preparation and monitoring time that cooking with a charcoal grill requires.
There are many electric smoker brands out in the market today. Sometimes it is hard to figure out which one works best for you, because there are just way too many choices.
Lucky for you, today I’ll be listing down what I think are the best electric smokers currently available, and which ones are worth investing in.
The Smokin-It Model #1 Electric Smoker is a thing of beauty not just because of its high meat capacity, but also because it’s very simple to use. I also love its stainless steel exterior, and the side handles that make it easy to move the unit from one spot to another.
- This smoker is very easy to use. All you need to do is plug it in, add the wood chips and water, preheat to desired temperature, and place the meat. Then you can leave it to cook while you relax or do other things.
- This model has no complicated digital controls or settings. There’s just a simple plug and a knob, so even technologically challenged people like me can use it with ease.
- Although it has a stainless steel exterior, I’m happy to report that this smoker is insulated very well. So you don’t need to worry about getting burned during a smoking session.
- This smoker has two drain holes that catch any meat drippings. These drippings go straight to the drip tray which slides easily under the unit.
- The Smokin-It electric smoker is very durable and has a sturdy design. My unit is almost three years old and I’ve had no major issues with it so far.
- This Smokin-It product comes with limited accessories so you need to buy any add-ons you want directly from the manufacturer. Accessories, like the wood chip liner and seafood tray, are not available on Amazon.
- There is no built-in temperature gauge so you need to buy one.
- While this doesn’t happen often, the temperature may fluctuate once in a while, which results in a longer cooking time.
Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller
I love the Masterbuilt 30-inch Black Electric Smoker for many reasons. I often use my unit to smoke big cuts of pork and brisket.
- This Masterbuilt product has a built-in digital thermometer, so you don’t have to guess the temperature of your smoker before you put your meat in.
- I find that this unit has very good insulation. It works well, no matter what the outside temperature is.
- I love the large capacity of this unit. Its four racks can hold more than 30 pounds of meat at a time.
- I have always been a fan of Masterbuilt’s customer support. They are very accommodating to client inquiries and concerns, and will easily send in part replacements as needed.
- Each unit comes with a remote control, so you don’t have to be physically in front of the smoker if you want to change the temperature or settings.
- The wheels and brackets make it easy to transport the smoker from one place to another.
- Temperature only goes up to 275oF. While it works great with red meat and fish, it becomes a bit problematic when you want to cook big poultry, like turkey, or other meats that require a temperature of more than 300oF.
- The heat unit isn’t that powerful. You may want to add your own heating element if you want to generate more heat.
- The unit does not come with a generator so you need to have it constantly plugged in.
Char-Broil Vertical Electric Smoker
The Char-Broil Vertical Electric Smoker is a good and affordable electric smoker for entry level smoking. Not many smokers at this price come with double walls and proper insulation, so I think this is actually one of the better-priced smokers out there.
- Preheating time is very quick, and the temperature remains constant throughout the cooking period.
- The unit comes with a built-in temperature gauge.
- This smoker is very easy to assemble. It will take you only about 30 to 40 minutes to finish assembling it.
- This unit is very easy to clean. Just wipe the interior with a cloth or sponge soaked in warm bubbly water. The racks and other accessories are also detachable so you can wash them easily in the sink.
- One of my main issues with this brand is that the door doesn’t close completely at the bottom. To solve this problem, I had to buy a small magnetic strip and stick it to the bottom part of the door. As an alternative, you can also buy a window lock for it. Or two.
- While the unit comes with an instructions manual for assembly, it does not have an operations manual, so you have to kind of wing it when you need to start smoking. It’s relatively easy to use, though.
- The water pan and smoker box are too small, so sometimes the burner doesn’t burn the wood chips as much as I want.
Smoke Hollow 30162E Electric Smoker
The Smoke Hollow Electric Smoker has a good and sturdy design that beginner and veteran smokers will love. My main beef with this smoker is that it’s a bit small, so I can’t fit in as much meat as I want.
- The unit has two side handles for easier transport. It is also very easy to assemble, and comes with an assembly and operations manual.
- I found that the smoker maintained a constant temperature throughout the cooking period, which is very important for this type of applicance.
- I also like how professional and helpful Smoke Hollow’s customer service is. They are quick to send a replacement for the part that broke during shipment.
- This unit is smaller compared to other brands. It also has only two racks. I can’t cook a large amount of meat in one go.
- There is no side door for the wood tray, so you need to open the smoker’s door to add more wood chips. I dislike doing this because it lets some of the smoke escape and the interior temperature drops, and cooking time takes longer.
- There is a temperature gauge, but it’s not digital, so you might make mistakes when setting the temperature if you’re not careful.
- This brand is not as well insulated as other brands, so the exterior becomes a bit hot to the touch during the cooking process.
Old Smokey Electric Smoker
I find that the Old Smokey Electric Smoker works best for quick smokes that require a high temperature. I don’t really recommend it for extended periods of smoking, because it’s hard to replenish the wood chips when they burn out.
- This smoker is super easy to use. It does not even need a water pan, and you don’t need to constantly monitor the heat. Just place your meat in the smoker, and let the unit do its job.
- This electric smoker has a unique cylindrical design that is very easy to set up. The steps in the instructions manual are very easy to follow.
- This is one of the cheaper electric smokers out in the market today.
- Because of the smoker’s design, you can’t add more wood without removing the food first. Therefore, it is not advisable to cook meats that require long hours of smoking time, like huge cuts of pork or beef.
- I found that some parts are not that durable and tends to break easily, so you have to be very careful when handling the unit.
- Because of its unique design, I found that this unit is harder to clean than box-type smokers. I also noticed rusting in some parts just after a year.
- The unit does not come with a built-in thermometer, so you still have to buy one.